Media Appearances 2023
On this page we will document some of our main media appearances in 2023. If you are a Campaign member who featured on local or national media and would like to be included on this page, just drop us a line!
23.08.2023 Cyclist.ie convened Active Travel Coalition to make statements in support of BusConnects plans:
- RTÉ Six-One news with comment, background from NTA
- Virgin Media news interview with David Timoney (at 14:40)
- TG4 Nuacht story with interviews (at 7:20)
- RTÉ Drivetime discussion between Sean Owens of Irish Doctors for the Environment and Senator Mary Seery Kearney (FG); 7 min 29.
- Today FM ‘Last Word with Matt Cooper’ interview with Sadhbh O’Neill (at 1hr:15:30)
- Independent article, ‘Five years on from its unveiling, progress on BusConnects is still sluggish – so what’s the delay?
- Independent article, ‘Political support for BusConnects has been ‘lukewarm’, say health and environment groups frustrated by delays’ sets out Coalition arguments and points.
- Independent article, ‘Slow rollout of BusConnects plan is hampering physical activity levels, doctors warn’ also sets out Coalition arguments. Begins with the statement, ”A transport system that includes some level of exercise is the easiest way of boosting our physical activity, doctors have said’.
- Examiner article, ‘Health groups call for ‘urgent implementation’ of BusConnects’
A full list of media around this story can be found here.
Neasa Bheilbigh, Chairperson of Cyclist.ie, was interviewed on Nuacht RTÉ / Nuacht TG4 on the Road Traffic Bill.
Neasa Bheilbigh, Chairperson of Cyclist.ie, was interviewed on Iniúchadh (Uair na Cinniúna) on TG4 on the topic of Active Travel & Climate Action.
Ellen Cullen, Chairperson of Dublin Cycling Campaign was quoted as part of the article entitled “Owen Keegan’s Dublin city – the good, the bad and the ugly” as published in The Times newspaper.
David Timoney from Dublin Cycling Campaign was interviewed on the Last Word by Matt Cooper on the topics of helmets and bike registration.
Dr. Damien Ó Tuama, National Cycling Coordinator with Cyclist.ie and An Taisce, was interviewed on RTE Radio 1’s Drivetime show about the increase in cycling numbers over the period 2016 to 2022 as per the recently published Census data.
Neasa Bheilbigh, Chairperson of Cyclist.ie, was interviewed on on Raidio na Gaeltachta on the New Cycling & Pedestrian bridge in Galway.
Joan Swift of Cyclist.ie / Rural Cyclist Collective mentioned as speaking about Cyclist.ie’s Vision for Cycling in Rural Ireland in Laois Live.
Letter published in the Irish Times on the topic of Cars and urban transport solutions / Sustainable and active transport by David Timoney (of Dublin Cycling Campaign)
Dublin Cycling Campaign features prominently in the RTE1 TV coverage of the St. Patrick’s Day Parade.
Recording on YouTube here.
Dublin Cycling Campaign appears at 2hrs 1min to 2hrs 3min in the broadcast.
Letter published in the Irish Times on the topic of ‘Don’t forget the fun in cycling - Two wheels good’ by Siobhán McNamara (Vice-Chair of Dublin Cycling Campaign)
Letter of 09 March 2023 here
Letters published in the Irish Times on the topic of Bike Theft from our active members Dr. Mike McKillen and Mairéad Forsythe
Letters of 06 March 2023 here
Letters published in the Irish Times on the topic of the Decarbonisation of Transport and Bike Theft from our active members David Timoney and Dr. Damien Ó Tuama (National Cycling Coordinator)
Letters of 04 March 2023 here
Úna Morrison talked about bike theft with Pat Kenny on Newstalk. Listen back here.
Úna Morrison contributed to a segment on bike theft on Prime Time on RTÉ One. Watch back on RTÉ player here. The bike theft report begins 20 minutes in.
Úna Morrison talked to Kildare Focus on KFM about cycling injuries on Luas tracks. Listen back here. It starts 2-3 minutes in.
Úna Morrison gave a statement to the Irish Times about cycling injuries on Luas tracks. Read the article here.
Help us do more for cycling in Dublin by becoming a member!