Core Bus Corridor 10: Tallaght to Terenure
Overall the Tallaght to Terenure Core Bus Corridor (CBC) includes some welcome improvements. However, there are many gaps in the proposed cycle tracks that need to be filled in. We need your help to build a cycle route suitable for people of all ages and abilities.
The proposals would:
- Deliver upgraded cycle tracks along Templeogue Road
- Implement traffic restrictions on Templeogue Road between Tenerure College and Terenure Village that will make the area safer for cyclists
However, the Dublin Cycling Campaign has identified issues along the route.
The road in Templeogue Village is being widened to 4 traffic lanes (two bus, two general traffic) and the existing cycle lanes will be removed. This is completely unacceptable. The NTA should examine other options like bus gates or greater traffic restrictions so that there can be continuous cycle tracks into Templeogue Village.
There is no connection to the proposed Dodder Greenway via Old Bridge. We need to be linking the key cycle routes together to form a cycle network.
There are many conflicts between pedestrians and cyclists along the new cycle path proposed along the edge of Busy Park.
There is a gap between the cycle lanes on Templeogue Road and the cycle improvements on Rathfarnham Road that are part of Core Bus Corridor 12. Cycle lanes are needed on Terenure Place.
The Dublin Cycling Campaign has identified many other issues, which are included in our draft submission linked at the end.
We need you to make a submission to the NTA. People need to show their support if they want to see these cycling improvements built. A submission is a short piece on how the NTA should change their proposals.
Some advice for writing a useful submission:
- Be generally supportive
- Keep it short and personal
- Tell the NTA why this Core Bus Corridor affects you. Do you live nearby or cycle this route often? Mention that.
- Include some of the Dublin Cycling Campaign’s key issues
Our key issues:
- The gaps in the cycle lanes in Templeogue Village need to be fixed
- A connection between the Dodder Greenway and this route needs to be added at Old Bridge Road
- Be supportive of the traffic restrictions on Templeogue Road as they are necessary to speed up buses and provide a much safer cycle route
- Push for cycle lane improvements on Terenure Place
We need many voices demanding better cycling facilities or BusConnects will never deliver any improvements. You can do two more things:
- Spread the word to your friends and family. Encourage them to make a submission too
- Contact your local councillors and TDs telling them you want to see these improvements
The NTA are holding two public information events on this route:
- St. Mary’s Rugby Football Club, Templeville Road - 7th March 3pm - 8pm
- Dublin City Council, Civic Offices, Wood Quay, Dublin 8 - 12th March 3pm - 8pm
If you want to be kept up-to-date subscribe to our BusConnects email newsletter. We’ll email you updates on the corridors your interested in.
This is only one of 16 Core Bus Corridors. Learn about the others here.
Help us do more for cycling in Dublin by becoming a member!