Core Bus Corridor 11 - Kimmage to City Centre
The proposed Kimmage to City Centre Core Bus Corridor (CBC) reroutes cyclists from the Lower Kimmage Road to side roads for most of the route from the KCR to Parnell Road. We are disappointed with the quality of this section. The cycle route then goes along the canal, across a welcome new pedestrian/cyclist bridge over the canal, and through minor roads to Bride St, which will have traffic restrictions. We need your help to build a cycle route suitable for people of all ages and abilities.
The proposals would:
- Widen the Lower Kimmage Road from the KCR to Sundrive Road to allow two-lanes in each direction (one for buses, one for other traffic)
- Limit access to Lower Kimmage Road from Sundrive Road to Harold’s Cross
- Reroute cyclists from most of Lower Kimmage Road, to “off-line” side roads and through the Hospice and Greenmount Lane
- Provide a new pedestrian/cyclist bridge over the canal at Portobello
- Restrict traffic on Bride Street, making it safer for cyclists
The Dublin Cycling Campaign has identified issues along the route.
- The proposed off-line routes from the KCR to Parnell Road are in general less safe, less coherent, less direct and have poor road surface and many more junctions than the current route.
- Cyclists are directed along the canal (Parnell Road) and remove cycle lanes from Clanbrassil Street. There is a need for cycling facilities along Clanbrassil Street, as many cyclists bound for the Western end of the City, e.g. Christchurch, Four Courts, Phibsboro etc. will continue down Clanbrassil Street.
The Dublin Cycling Campaign has identified other issues, which are included in our draft submission linked at the end.
We need you to make a submission to the NTA. People need to show their support if they want to see cycling improvements included in the BusConnects plans. A submission is a short description on how the NTA should change their proposals.
Some advice for writing a useful submission:
- Be generally supportive of BusConnects
- Keep it short and personal
- Tell the NTA why this Core Bus Corridor affects you. Do you live nearby or cycle this route often? Mention that.
- Include some of the Dublin Cycling Campaign’s key issues
Our key issues:
- Instead of rerouting cyclists, the cycling facilities on Lower Kimmage Road should be upgraded to a segregated cycle track
- Bus stop by-passes should be added where possible, e.g. Ravensdale Park and Mount Argus
- The cycling facilities on Clanbrassil Street should be maintained and upgraded
- Instead of widening Lower Kimmage Road to four lanes, traffic restrictions should be introduced at peak times from the KCR to Harolds Cross, to improve bus journey times
You can make a submission via the BusConnects Public Consultation Form.
We need many voices demanding better cycling facilities or BusConnects will never deliver any improvements. You can do two more things:
- Spread the word to your friends and family. Encourage them to make a submission too
- Contact your local councillors and TDs telling them you want to see these improvements: https://www.whoismytd.com/
If you want to be kept up-to-date on BusConnects subscribe to our BusConnects email newsletter. We’ll email you updates on the corridors your interested in.
Help us do more for cycling in Dublin, please consider getting involved.