Submission on South Dublin County Development Plan 2022-2028
We have submitted observations on the South Dublin County Development Plan 2022-2028 Strategic Issues Consultation. This is the first stage in the creation of the plan for 2022-2028. A summary of the submissions will be presented to Councillors in November and the draft plan published in July 2021.
Make your voice heard! You can make a submission on this stage up to midnight on the 28 September 2020: South County Dublin Development Plan Consultation.
In our submission we noted that a comprehensive, safe, segregated cycling network is a key enabler for at least four of the strategic issues: Sustainable Movement, Placemaking, Climate Action, Natural Heritage and Biodiversity. Given that cycling provides the best Return on Investment of all transport modes, the enhancement of cycling infrastructure should form an important element of the plan.
While the Grand Canal and Dodder Valley Greenways are significant achievements from the 2016-2022 plan, we noted that many of the cycling initiatives listed in the plan have not been completed. Therefore, it is essential that funding to develop a safe, segregated cycling network is ring-fenced, if the plan is to be realistic and achievable.
To achieve the goal of creating ‘high-quality, well designed and well-planned neighbourhoods’ the County Development Plan 2022-2028 must:
- include a comprehensive network of connected cycle routes suitable for all ages, that link places where people live, work and play.
- Set targets for modal share for cycling and sustainable transport
- Prioritise cycling, walking and public transport as ways for people to move around
- Consider how any new developments can be best utilised by pedestrians and cyclists i.e. cycle-proof all developments
- Include retrofitting of existing residential, commercial and retail areas to increase permeability by foot and bike.
Our full submission is attached.
Help us do more for cycling in Dublin by becoming a member!