Core Bus Corridor 14: UCD to City Centre
The UCD to City Centre BusConnects Core Bus Corridor will good-quality cycle tracks. The route runs from the UCD flyover to the City Centre via Stillorgan Road, Nutley Lane, Merrion Road, Pembroke Road and Upper Baggot Street. It will greatly improve cycle facilities in the area though there are some issues with the project.
The proposals would:
- Build a continuous one-way segregated cycle track along most of the route in both directions.
- Build bus stop bypasses at the UCD flyover to ensure cyclists and buses don’t mix.
However, the Dublin Cycling Campaign has identified some serious issues along the route.
There is no level of protection offered to cyclists at junctions, many of which experience high traffic volumes and include slip lanes which encourage drivers to make turns at speed, endangering cyclists. In a number of locations, numerous mature trees will be removed and proposed cycle tracks will be of a poor standard to ensure 4 lanes of motor traffic are maintained.
On Baggot Street Bridge, cyclists will share a lane with buses and throughout the route the design/layout of the bus stops will lead to cyclists mixing with buses, even though much of this route experiences a high volume of bus traffic. Where parking bays are provided, only a painted cycle track will be provided between the road and the parked cars, creating numerous hazards for cyclists.
The Dublin Cycling Campaign has identified many other issues, which are included in our draft submission linked at the end.
We need you to make a submission to the NTA. Otherwise these proposed concept designs could quickly become the final design. A submission is a short piece on how the NTA should change their proposals.
Some advice for writing a useful submission:
- Be generally supportive
- Keep it short and personal
- Tell the NTA why this Core Bus Corridor will affect you. Do you live nearby or cycle this route often? Mention that.
- Tell the NTA why you want to see changes. For example, if the junctions were safer would you let your kids cycle to school?
- Describe some of the cycle trips you take along this route
- Include some of the Dublin Cycling Campaign’s key issues
Our key issues:
- Demand junctions that offer protection to cyclists and request the removal of dangerous slip lanes
- Demand more island bus stops to ensure cyclists are not required to mix with buses
- Demand cycle tracks that are designed to the standards outlined in the National Cycle Manual, even if this requires a reduction in the number of vehicular lanes
- Demand the provision of cycle tracks on Baggot Street Bridge
MAKE A SUBMISSION CTA
We need many voices demanding better cycling facilities or BusConnects will never deliver any improvements. Please:
- Spread the word to your friends and family. Encourage them to make a submission too
- Contact your local councillors and TDs. Tell them you want to see these improvements
This is only one of 16 Core Bus Corridors. Learn about the others here.
Help us do more for cycling in Dublin by becoming a member!