Have your say on the Wellington Lane Walking and Cycling Scheme
South Dublin County Council has published details of the emerging preferred route for the Wellington Lane Proposed Walking and Cycling Scheme. They are looking to gather as much feedback as possible by 31 January before submitting a formal planning application. The route connects many primary and secondary schools, sporting facilities, shops and Tymon Park. It is important that the proposed scheme is built to the highest standard in order to attract greater numbers of schoolgoing children to walk and cycle, as well as the general public, and particularly those who do not yet cycle regularly.
Dublin Cycling Campaign will be making a detailed submission. However, it is also important that as many individual cyclists as possible make a submission. The page below has links to the proposals and a short questionnaire to provide feedback. The deadline is 31 January 2022.
Updated 3 February 2022: our full submission is attached.
SDCC Wellington Lane Walking and Cycling Scheme
There is a lot to like about the scheme including:
- Two-way segregated cycle track from the Spawell to the Orwell Roundabout
- Bus stop bypasses
- Protected junction design for Orwell Road Roundabout
- Segregated cycle tracks from Orwell Road Roundabout to Templeville Roundabout
- Cycle lanes protected by bollards along Whitehall Road
- Segregated cycle track along part of Limekiln Road
We would like to see the following improvements:
- Add a grass verge between the cycle tracks and the roads to make it safer for children and novice cyclists – there are wide grass verges along most of the route.
- Identify “park n’stride” locations for the schools and add bollards to prevent parking near the schools
- Upgrade the cycle lanes on Rossmore Road to segregated cycle tracks
- Add a toucan crossing from Orwell Road to Rossmore Road
- Extend the cycle tracks on Limekiln Road to the school in both directions, and narrow the traffic lanes to 3m to slow down traffic
Help us do more for cycling in Dublin by becoming a member!