Illegal Parking in Cycle Lanes - #FreeTheCycleLanes Campaign
Earlier this week, one of our supporters, Vinnie Quinn highlighted the illegal parking in the cycle lane on Westland Row of a cash in transit van and again the following morning of a food delivery van at same location. All that sparked the idea of a twitter hashtag campaign, just in time for Bike Week too. After some discussion we came up with an appropriate hashtag - #FreeTheCycleLanes
Anyone cycling around Dublin City time and time again comes across this issue, cycle lanes blocked by illegal parking. It makes the painted lane unusable and forces the person cycling out into the more than likely very busy adjacent lane. The safety of the bicycle user is put at risk by the completely illegal action. We have on numerous occasions made representations on this issue with little success. No single organisation or body seems to want to seriously tackle this daily health and safety issue for the city’s bicycle users.
What can you do ?
- Tweet a picture that demonstrates the problem (no other issues please) to us at @dublincycling
- Use hashtag #FreeTheCycleLanes
- Give location if not obvious
- And any other relevant info
- We are particularly interested in instances of this in Mandatory Cycle Lanes, which are bordered by a continuous white line on the right hand side. They are only for bicycles and motorised wheelchairs, so no other drivers may use them or park in them.
We really would appreciate your support with this campaign. Please share it with your family and friends too.
Help us do more for cycling in Dublin, please consider getting involved.